Wednesday, October 28, 2015
The Bombshell Signs of Aging
A few days back, a much younger colleague of mine got to know my age and remarked that I’m becoming an old hag. My reaction to that was that I always wanted to grow up, and fast. To be 30 meant achieving the biggest milestone of one’s life; and it indeed was a milestone of my life.
For the last 10 years or so, I have been seeing so many friends and colleagues, running after beauty products, anti-aging products and even Photoshop/filters only to look much younger than what they really are, to the extent of a seeming youth mania.
I sometimes feel tempted to ask, how ‘bout turning into a six month old infant? They all want to look younger, don’t they? What’s better than turning into an infant! That is after all, the ultimate destination and an underlying expectation.
Age has been the ultimate, inevitable truth of life. So then, why are we so scared of something that would prove that we have lived our share? Why do we keep running after the fountain of superficial youth while we keep making attempts to kill the real youth within?
A cosmetic company did a “7 signs of aging” campaign a few years back to cash upon the low self esteem of their target base. With my 31st around the corner I thought of doing my own take on the 7 signs of aging in an attempt to restore the lost pride...
1. Generation gap:
When you look at a girl wearing extra short dress and suddenly panic that she forgot to wear her pants
2. The Body of Truth:
When you notice the change in weather because your bones started aching
3. Did your waistline just crack up?
When your waistline throws a tough competition to your age-line
4. Alone time:
When you appreciate spending weekends home, sleeping
When night-out fun means buying your favourite liquor, getting food packed and crashing at your own place or a friend’s
6. From Taj Mahal to the Leaning Tower of Pisa:
When an increase in bra size stops meaning bloom but sag
7. Back to the era of Scarlett O’Hara:
When you need a corset only to be able to make use of all those clothes in your closet
Now, now, aging ain’t all that bad. Don’t believe me? Well, read on…
1. You finally feel in control of your life
2. You are financially stable
3. Your friend circle has reduced to a sensible few
4. You’ve stopped caring about who says what about you not in defiance but in indifference. You have come a long way, really.
5. You see the traces of crow’s feet at the corner of your eyes and humour lines around your mouth? Know that you’ve laughed all the years behind you and smile again.
6. You’ve ditched the magazine look book as you no more care about general perception but your own comfort and taste
7. That red lipstick doesn’t scream for attention any more, but blends with your personality
8. You are more open to experiment with your food, makeup, clothes, travel and more, not to please someone else but for your own experience
Well, you see? You are full of grace about your life and the choices that you’ve made. Aging is the proof that you have lived your own share and not trying to hide that means that you have loved each day that you lived.
So, dear ladies and gentlemen… Stop dreading the only proof of your life. Stop dreading the age, embrace it.
The last week found all of social media flooding with the #MeToo campaign. The campaign that was sparked by the Harvey Weinstein allegatio...
So, while my readers are wondering where I have been for the last few months, well, I was reeling over the present state of ourselves. Of ...
The series of incidents I will narrate henceforth, are all isolated. Some of them may even appear to be lighthearted in nature. But the r...